Monday, April 14, 2008

To Hell with All That

In a grand experiment with my life, I recently (three months ago) decided to quit my career in finance with the intention of pursuing more entrepreneurial ventures from home (like writing, and selling hand-crafted items online).  Most of my friends and family have been supportive of the move, especially since I was so discontent in my occupation as a banker.  Regardless of the support, though, I cannot help but feel that I am cheating a little bit.  Cheating because I'm relying on my husband's income.  Cheating because I don't hop into the car every morning and ride off to the 9-5 grind.  Cheating because I'm home and Not raising children.  

It is probably because I am wrestling with my new "career" that I've started to leisurely research the role of the housewife in history and culture.  The traditional housewife is, after all, about the closest thing I can find to describe my current experiment with life.  Thus, the first book on my housewife list was To Hell with All That: Loving and Loathing Your Inner Housewife, by Caitlin Flanagan.  Published in 2006, this book has already stirred up my thoughts on all sorts of topics, like growing up in a post-feminist culture, having children, keeping a home, and the like.  

My intention is to write about these thoughts over the coming weeks, partly to purge my own brain, but also because I'm wondering if perhaps I am not the only young, twenty-something female who is wrestling with her place in the world (I invite all wrestlers to respond anytime!).

On another note, I will also be launching my online boutique shortly, updating my website, www.stephaniehillberry.com, and begin posting on Two new blogs (see sidebar).  Please visit any and all anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin