Thursday, July 17, 2008

It's Time for Motivational Speeches!

I was watching the Today Show this morning, and they reported on a recent Gallup poll that suggested that people in the US are feeling down about the times.  Apparently high gas prices, falling home values, debt, climate change, and politics are causing some of us to feel rather pessimistic about the future.  Pessimistic and fearful.

I can relate.  I don't want to be whiny about my life, because in the grand scheme of things, I have it pretty good.  But I understand what it feels like to be concerned for the future.

After showing the results of this Gallup poll, the Today Show then brought on motivational speaker, Tony Robbins.  I'm sure you've seen him before--very tall, handsome man who speaks in a low voice about taking charge of your emotions and your life.  Listening to him was admittedly a little inspiring (he obviously has that ability, given his million-dollar business as a motivator).  He encouraged people to recognize their fears and emotional habits, and then use them to make the most of the circumstances.  Easier said than done, right?

One thing he did mention that I liked was that troubling times are fertile soil for creativity and ingenuity.  Sort of a "necessity breeds innovation" philosophy.  I happen to agree.  Yes, the times are challenged.  I'm uncomfortable.  I look into the future and worry a bit.  But, I also look at my neighborhood and see a lot of potential.  I see other women who, if connected, could support each other through these times.  I see tons of creativity and innovation just waiting to burst forth.  I see opportunities to share resources, nurture small business, and take leadership.  

Now, I'm no Tony Robbins.  But I do think that if we take the time to invest in each other, and to practice some of the things we've been talking about these last several weeks (like supporting micro-business, using our "relational currency," and being "rooted" leaders), that our efforts might bear good fruit even in unstable times.  It's worth a shot, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin