Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Shifting to Manual


Blah blah blah blah bla-blah blah blah.

If that is what you hear when I mention how busy we all are in this day and age, I don’t blame you.
Truly it is one of the most over-done stories in culture today.



We’re busy. We get it. Next subject please.

And so I promise that I won’t linger on the obvious.
What I will do is revisit the “auto pilot”--you know, that collection of expectations we tend to adopt because we don’t have time to invent alternatives.




What I’ve observed in my life is that when I’m busy, I gravitate toward the path of least resistance (aka auto pilot).
Dinner? How about the drive-through. Gifts? How about the gift card kiosk at the supermarket. Clothing? Whatever looks cute at Target this week. Lifestyle? Whatever everyone else is doing. Sure, I’d like to give my friend a unique present for her new baby, but I don’t have the time. Yes, I’d love to make my husband a homecooked meal from that recipe I’ve been eyeing, but I get home too late. And definitely I would like to be working less and spending less and investing in more fulfilling activities, but I can’t slow down enough to figure out how to do that.



If this sounds familiar, you are certainly not alone!

The simple truth is that originality--the pursuit of living more intentionally and expressively--withers with schedule overload.
When we consistently see our original ideas and intentions fall to wayside in favor of box-store merchandise and tv dinners, we know the gears are stuck on auto-pilot. And the first step to shifting into manual is to slow down.


And to spend less, but we’ll get to that tomorrow!


Until then, take a breather and have a happy Wednesday!


Glossary of images, all from independent sellers on Etsy.com!

vintage leather bomber jacket by sew kewl
vintage ray ban amber aviator glasses by the queen of re
airplane girl vinyl wall decal by graphic spaces
aviators noir steampunk ooak necklace by mystic pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin