Friday, September 12, 2008

10-Step Plan to Being Well-Stocked (including "why do I have 6 cans of chipotle peppers and no Pepto?")


If project #1 in my back to basics challenge is meal planning, then project #2 is stocking up on supplies.  Pantry supplies, toiletry supplies, hosting supplies, emergency supplies.  In other words, I want to be well-supplied.

My intended purpose behind stocking up is to a) make it easy on myself and b) be prepared for the unexpected.  So...

Step #1: make a list of the supplies I need.  Try deliberately not to add "new red pumps" and "olive green leather handbag" to the list.  Also scratch chocolate and wine.
Step #2: add chocolate and wine back to the list.  Who was I kidding?  Of course they're necessary supplies!
Step #3: stare blankly into my pantry and closets and realize that I have a) no room, and b) a mountain of things I haven't looked at in months.
Step #4: put my list on hold because it's crazy to shop before taking an inventory of what I already have.
Step #5: contemplate deeply why I have six cans of french-style green beans in my pantry even though I don't like them.  Also, meditate on why I have twelve tubes of antibacterial gel and only one tampon.  
Step #6: start eating the chocolate and drinking the wine.
Step #7: get back to business and finally weed out all of the unused and unnecessary items.  Donate the good stuff to the food bank, charities, etc.  Pitch the rest.  
Step #8: start a new list of supplies because I've misplaced the previous one.  
Step #9: go shopping for supplies.  Resist handbag aisle.  In fact, resist all clothing, cosmetics, magazine, and housewares aisles.  
Step #10: place supplies neatly into newly cleaned pantries and closets.  Smile and celebrate my accomplishments with chocolate and a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin