Thursday, September 11, 2008

Manifesto to Domesticity


After writing yesterday's post, I got to thinking more about the whole "being a good steward of my resources" thing.  I think that most of us recognize that we're pretty lucky when it comes to resources (I'm assuming that if you're reading this on a computer--and have the time to read blogs for leisure--that you live a reasonably affluent life).  The very fact that I own my own home with clean water and a refrigerator to keep my food fresh sets me apart from a lot of people in the world.

Additionally, I think that most of us will acknowledge on some level that we aren't as mindful as we could be with the stuff we have.  I know I waste a lot.  And I feel uncomfortable with that.  

Truthfully I think it is this discomfort that leads me to pursue better "domestic fitness" in my life.  After all, before domesticity was negatively associated with the suburban housewife, household chores used to be all about resourcefulness.  Women would get up early and tend to the home all day in an effort to maximize their resources.  They canned their produce to extend its life through the winter.  They cleaned their homes to keep out diseases that might threaten their livelihood and cost them money.  They planned their meals WAY in advance (take that! husband), ordering supplies in bulk and rationing them through the seasons.  Their domestic activities were directly related to their stewardship.

We, of course, live in different times.  But sometimes I worry that I've gotten too far away from those practices.  The truth is that when I am too busy to take care of the basics--cleaning, preparing food, budgeting--I waste more.  Quite a lot more, in fact.  I can't, in good conscience, ignore that and continue in my ways.

So call it a "manifesto to domesticity" if you will, but I think this little "back to the basics" experiment of mine might actually have more depth than I originally thought.  

Any thoughts?  Share them with me!  Comment here or email me at shillberry@comcast.net




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin