Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 18: Motivational Malaise


When I was fourteen years old, I wrote in my diary that I was concerned about being one of those people who never finished what they started (I know--deep thoughts for fourteen. Don't worry--I also wrote plenty about the boys I liked and the despair over my latest breakout, so I wasn't that abnormal...). At the time I was working diligently on a teenage novel involving four young girls.

Needless to say, I never finished it.




So when Mrs. Marple talked to us today about the importance of following through, I felt compelled to pay attention.

Because I will confess that finishing is always the most difficult for me
when it comes to my "fine living" projects.

I love the process of putting things together,
but I hate the final details. Like setting in the sleeves for my new sweater, for instance.


And knitting the collar.

And sewing the sleeves (ahem...the new, shorter, non-straight-jacket sleeves) for my dress.


And attaching the hook-&-eye closures for my sweater-turned-cardigan.


Let's face it: these small tasks are just not glamorous. In fact, I think they're exceedingly dull. But Mrs. Marple is right to discourage motivational malaise at the finish line. Because I have to admit that I have more than one almost-finished project lying around. And they would be oh-so-cute as gifts or decorations if I could just get around to completing them.

"Fine living,"
Mrs. Marple said as she closed the class, "requires intention. You have to make a habit of finishing what you start."

And so she assigned us some finishing tasks,
and requested that we bring our completed projects back to class for show & tell.

So I guess you know what I'll be doing over the weekend...
I don't want to get in trouble with Mrs. Marple.

See you at show & tell soon!

Previous Days at the Institute:
Day 5: Getting Ahead
Day 2: the Secret to Fine Living
Day 17: Make it Work

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin