Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 24: Trendy

Normally I'm not really the trendy type. But lately I've seen all of these beaded necklaces strung with ribbon...

...and then layered with other necklaces like pearls and stones and golden beads. And I want the look.

I want it bad.

So I raided my bead box. Yes--I have a bead box. In my opinion every woman should have one. Like a hair dryer. And a toothbrush. They're that important.

And lo and behold, I found just what I needed. Wooden beads from an old necklace that was precisely the Wrong length--perfect for stringing into precisely the right length.

So I snatched some black ribbon (also a household staple in my opinion...) and started to string, tying knots between each bead to give them a little breathing room.

Voila! One ribbon-beaded necklace that I can tie around my neck (with the option of altering the length depending on my garment's neckline--a bonus of ribbon...) whenever my heart pleases.

But now here comes the fun part. The layering part. What would black beads on black ribbon look good with? I asked myself.

Why, pearls and gold, naturally!

And so I layered them all together and now am officially the trendiest girl in the house.

Okay, so I'm the only girl in the house.

The tricky part, of course, about being trendy is that what is "in" today will almost certainly be "out" next season. This is why I'm growing even fonder of Mrs. Marple's advice about repurposing what I already own. This beaded update cost me nothing, which means that when ribbon-stranded necklaces go out of fashion, I won't be mourning money lost.

And I'll probably find a new way to use those beads.

Previous Related posts:
Pretty Things
Five Things I'm Loving This Friday
Creative Hour: Turquoise Earrings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin