Thursday, March 4, 2010

Inducting the Kitchen Aid: anatomy of a cinnamon roll (part 2)

First of all, my husband would like you all to know that some of these photos were taken by him. Normally I wouldn't indulge him in making this announcement, but since I had to rush out to lunch, leaving him to the task of watching the rolls rise and baking them, I figured I owed him.

Besides, normally his hands are so shaky that his photos turn out blurry, and he was very proud that these turned out sharp. I can only imagine how hard he was concentrating while shooting these...
Now onto part 2 of the rolls themselves. After my chemistry experiments with warm ingredients and yeast, the dough did actually rise as intended. I say this because often my breads have difficulty rising, so when they perform like they're supposed to, I feel rather elated.

This dough, as you can see above, actually rose right out of the bowl, pushing up the lid. What a little overachiever!
Next comes the guts. In case you're counting, there are 2--that's right, TWO--sticks of butter in these rolls. I was mentioning to my friends at lunch that everyone should be forced to bake these type of treats from scratch at least once because it makes you oh-so-keenly aware of how terribly bad they are for your arteries. Which is a fact you ignore when you just buy the roll at the bakery.

Buying them, after all, doesn't involve the process of actually unwrapping the two sticks of butter by hand and dumping them into the bowl. Along with 2 cups of sugar.

You get my point.
Of course none of that stopped me from carrying on with my baking. From this point it was time to roll the dough--a very hearty and satisfying exercise if you ask me personally. Kinda makes up for the butter & sugar guilt. A little.
Then comes the rolling part of the rolls. Yes, you have to get your hands dirty. Cinammon rolls aren't for the dainty.
Finally the rolls are ready to be sliced and set into their baking dishes so that they can rise yet again for another hour before they hit the oven.

But more on that last part later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin