A conversation from early in my marriage:Overheard while preparing to attend a dinner and awards reception:
me (getting ready in a party dress): what are you planning to wear, Craig?
him: I'm not sure yet. Do I really have to go?
me: yes. We've been through this. You're coming. Now I was thinking that you could wear your dark corduroys. You know--the ones I bought for you for Christmas three years ago.
him: I'm not wearing those.
me: why not? They look good on you and you never wear them. People will be dressed up, you know.
him: they're not comfortable. And I don't care what other people are wearing. Do I really have to go?
me: You're going! Well, if you aren't going to wear the corduroys, what about your Dockers? You could wear your white button-up--the one you like that you took on our honeymoon--and your linen sport coat.
him: I want to wear my jeans.
me: You ARE NOT wearing your jeans! Why do we have to go through this every time we go out!?
him: Because you never listen.
me: that's ridiculous. People will not be wearing jeans, Craig. Seriously--you have to pick something else.
him: I'm not going if I can't wear my jeans.
me (giving him The Look): you're going. And no jeans!
Sometime later at the event, much to my dismay, a gentlemen walks in looking dapper in a cowboy hat, a white button-up shirt, and...you guessed it...jeans. Turns out, he was the recipient of one of the awards.
my husband (turning to me): If he gets to wear jeans, so do I.
And I've been losing the battle over denim ever since.
glossary of dapper men's clothing and accessories, all from Etsy sellers:
1. mod mens over coat by good grace
2. 50's men's pierre cardin executive suit by the brush factory
3. vintage mahogany lace-up oxfords by squeaky wheel collective
4. men's shirt - navy/white gingham STYLE No. BKT10 by brooklyn tailors
5. vintage 70's wide boho brown leather belt by skinny and bernie
6. men's suit - grey worsted wool STYLE No. BKT50, also by brooklyn tailors
7. vintage steampunk handcrafted watch by revolt70