Monday, February 22, 2010

the Splurge


There are a lot of things in life that make "going back" difficult. For instance, when we moved into this house, my husband and I bought a king-size bed. And now we could never possibly go back to sleeping comfortably in a queen. I mean, where would the dogs sleep? How would I stretch out properly? What would I do with all of my cute linens?

Or, as another example, when I purchased my first small bottle of mineral makeup and wore it around town, I knew that I wouldn't be going back to liquid or cream or any other variety of potion. I had found my cosmetic soul mate, and wouldn't be looking back.

So when I decided sometime last year to try out a few "authentic" yarns (aka not acrylic) to see what all the fuss was about, I understood that I was taking a risk.

A risk because I knew that if I discovered that I loved (LOVED) nice yarns, I might have a difficult time going back to the run-of-the-mill (aka cheap) variety.

Needless to say, I was right. Here I am, a year or so later, wearing what is certainly THE SOFTEST SWEATER I have ever owned or worn in my entire life.

Softer than my dog's ears.
Softer than a baby's skin.
Softer than cashmere. (okay--maybe it's as soft as cashmere...)

This yarn--a pale gray color that I think is perfect for spring--definitely debunks the notion that knitting is an affordable alternative to buying mass-produced sweaters from...say...J.Crew. Because not only is it THE SOFTEST SWEATER I have ever owned, it is also the most expensive. It was, in a word, a splurge.

This expense, however, is tempered by the satisfaction I got from knitting this sweater from scratch. And from learning new techniques (like making an I-cord, for instance). And from knowing it will stay with me for a lifetime. All things that I could not have gotten from buying a similar sweater from the store.

In other words, sometimes not going back is worth every penny.

What is your favorite splurge? Share by posting your comment here!
note: for the curious, this is the Faux Wrap Sweater from the fabulous book, Reversible Knitting.

1 comment:

  1. Did I mention that it's also the Warmest Sweater I own? My snowy walk this morning just confirmed it...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin