Other than a few loose threads to tie up, my red dress is finished. I must have had a teeny bit of sewing overkill this week, because I think I used my seam ripper more than my sewing machine to add the final touches to this garment. But after days of baby quilts and pillow covers, it is nice to have something...well...nice to wear.
Adventure in Resourcefulness
This project has also been a very good adventure in resourcefulness for me. As I mentioned last week, the pattern for it came from a dress I bought second hand and then cut to pieces. Certainly it is no accident that this is the first clothing item I've ever sewn that actually fits well! I'm not sure why I've never done this before!
Even better, I now have a pattern that I can apply for more projects to come. In fact, I already have a couple yards in pink for another dress. And with a few modifications (like long sleeves), I think this would make a great blueprint for some winter dresses in heavier fabric.
A few weeks ago I wrote a post about the new Midas touch. In it, I mentioned that I wanted to learn how to multiply my resources. Well, this Montenegro dress is my first shot at taking one dress and turning it into many more. Maybe I'll even make one of them in gold....
But no more sewing for me today. Instead I'll have to traipse around town pretending that I'm in Europe, and keeping my eye out for 007.
Previous Related Posts:
Montenegro or Bust
the New Midas Touch