Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Creative Hour: cocktails and dresses (but not cocktail dresses)

Perhaps it was my fling with the red dress, but lately I've been hankering for a bygone era. An era of party dresses and the cocktail hour. Nevermind that I don't actually like cocktails (I'm more of a beer and wine kinda gal--).

So in lieu of cocktails, I thought I would whip up some cocktail napkins just in case someone else wanted to entertain with them. Someone, for instance, who might win this week's raffle...

Alterations
And while I was at the sewing machine, I figured I would put on my "alterations" hat and try to amend a very cute summer dress I picked up this spring while I was in L.A.


This dress is nothing more than a cotton tank sewn into a navy blue linen skirt. And while both my friend and I agreed that it would be a great summer addition to my wardrobe, the top was a bit annoying. Annoying as in it draped too low in the neck and under the arms. And while I thought I could fix it with a camisole worn underneath, eventually I decided that adding layers in the summer wasn't such a hot idea.

So I picked up a better-fitting tank at the store for $5, cut the bottom off, cut the original out, and swapped 'em. The only tricky part was making sure I sewed the shirt to the elastic instead of the linen. Ten minutes later, I had my cute summer dress minus the necessarily cami.


Cherry Pie
And finally, I made it down to the kitchen where a frozen bag of pie cherries had been calling my name for months
. Purchased from the farmer's market last year, I was long overdue for baking them into a pie.


So I dumped some flour, butter and water into the food processor, dunked the cherries in a sugar syrup...rolled, poured, covered and pricked...and Presto! dessert for the week!

Tell Me!
Tell me what you've been up to! Any projects you're working on? Any pictures you want to send me? (you can, to shillberry@stephaniehillberry.com) Share about them by commenting below!


Previous Related posts:

Lime Green Shimmer
Dining in Style
Sewing in Good Company
The Creative Hour

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin