Friday, October 3, 2008

My Feet Hurt, and other tales of my cooking extravaganza


My feet hurt.  I mean really hurt.  I wince a little when I step on them.  Not because of new shoes.  And not because of working out (although I really should do that...).  No, they hurt because yesterday I stood on them for 15 hours straight.  

That's right--15 hours.  From 8 am until 11:00 pm.  

You see, I went to this baby shower earlier in the week where, instead of doing those usual oh-so-fun baby shower games, we went to a local business that prepares dinners for families on the go.  We all put on our aprons and gloves and made our friends (there were two preggo ladies) about 30 premade frozen dinners.  Great, tasty, healthy frozen dinners.  

Not only was it the Best Baby Shower Idea Ever! but it also gave me the idea to try the same thing on my own.  So I scavenged through my cookbooks and made my lists and headed to the grocery store.  I woke up the next day all ready to work.  15 hours later, these are a few things I learned:

1.  Planning to make 30 meals is great when you have the guidance of professionals and about 15 friends.  It's just plain crazy when you are by yourself!
2.  Small kitchens will not work.  Lots of counter space is required.
3.  Cooking for that long trashes your nails.  Mine have never looked so bad.  
4.  Food processors are a must. 
5.  Garlic and onions are in about every dinner recipe on earth.
6.  On that note, just buy the prechopped garlic.  Four bulbs later I was seriously wondering why I hadn't considered that...
7.  Make sure you have some strong scented lotion that you like, because at the end of the day you Will Not want to smell food anymore.
8.  Marinara sauce--when simmering on the stove--can shoot tomato up to your ceiling!
9.  Oh, and did I mention that cooking 30 meals by yourself is just plain crazy!

These are just a few of my thoughts.  I'll probably share more in the days to come about my cooking extravaganza.  Now if you'll excuse me, I still have to wipe tomato off my ceiling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin