Monday, November 10, 2008

Don't Deviate Alone

I've been talking about living a deviant life (as in to deviate from the norm) for the last couple of weeks.  The first week of Deviancy 101 was all about challenging the status quo, and how I had to search my heart and fears about living differently.

The second week I talked about the money--about "grassroots jobs" and how they have involved both blessing and sacrifice for me so far.

And in this final week of Deviancy 101 I thought I would talk about a "rule" I'm in the process of learning.  It is "Don't Deviate Alone," and I have to confess that I'm not great at following the rule so far.

For me, "Don't Deviate Alone" means that compassion has to accompany capital, and that I need to be connecting to my neighbors, caring for those in need, and building up my community.  If I'm not doing these things (which believe me, I'm really not), than what is the point of deviating anyway?  I mean, if I'm not making a positive impact beyond my small life, than why bother?

I figure that now is as a good a time as any to consider these things.  I mean--it kind of stinks that we entertain more "charitable" thoughts around the holiday season (we really should think of them throughout the whole year), but I'll take what I can get.  So as the the season for thinking more of others begins, I thought I would challenge myself to think beyond...well...myself.

Fortunately I'm encouraged that a "deviantly domesticated" lifestyle has a lot of potential to nurture more "outward" thoughts and living.  Hopefully it will start to rub off on me as  I think about it more this week, and in the months to come.

Join me tomorrow as I ponder the first step--supporting my friends and family.  And don't forget to stick around later today as we learn about this week's Marketplace Maven!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin