Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I swore Never Again...


I swore I’d never do it again. The last time was such a headache. And since then I’ve kept true to my word. Until yesterday.

I’m talking about sewing roman shades.

Four years ago I sewed a set for the bay window in my kitchen. And I hated every minute of the project. And in the years since I’ve happily paid the outrageous prices to outfit a few more windows in my home with similar shades made conveniently by someone else in a factory. But when I decided this weekend that I’d had enough of the temperamental vinyl roller shades in my family room, I knew I wanted another set of roman shades to replace them.


So I dutifully went to the store, only to find out that the kind I like (and the only ones in town) were sold out in the size I needed, and being discontinued to boot, I had to pause. And then when I did the math, adding the price of two shades plus the blackout fabric that I would have to add to them, and discovered that I would pay 1/3 of that if I made them myself....well, the decision was made.


And so I’m embarking once again on the dreaded project.
And to make things more challenging, I’m going to be sewing them on a vintage sewing machine purchased in the early 1970’s. Why? Because my machine decided to go on the fritz and is now spending some time out at the repair shop for bad behavior.

What, you ask, does this have to do with simple community entertainment? Absolutely nothing. But it’s summer and the rules are a little less stringent around here.


Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin