Thursday, July 2, 2009

You Can Find me at the Show


It was by no accident that I decided to write this little mini-series on community staycations during this time of summer. Because I think that the Fourth of July is one of my favorite community holidays--and a perfect day to get out of the house and enjoy neighbors, sunshine and good food.

The best way to get the most out of the Fourth, in my opinion, is to spend it in the company of children.
Their excitement and wonder reminds you that the day is kind of magical. I love to listen to them oohh and aaah at the fireworks, and to see their sticky, popsicle-smeared faces, and to hear the snap! snap! of them throwing down those little firecrackers and laughing as they hit the pavement.

Since my husband and I do not have children, and no nieces or nephews nearby, we do the next best thing:
hit the community fireworks show and watch the kids and adults enjoy the evening. We find a grassy knoll, spread out a blanket, and smile at the sight of sparklers and the smell of bug repellant. Of course it helps that my hometown has a great show every year. I can't help but feel like a kid myself when the fireworks start. I'll admit that some ooohs and aaahs even escape my mouth from time to time--a fact that always solicits laughter from my husband.

Naturally there are other things I like about the Fourth too.
The outdoor grilling, the strawberry shortcake for dessert, the sunny, warm day perfect for relaxing. The three day weekend.

But when the sun sets, you'll know where to find me.
Just follow the sound of kids laughing.

Hope you all enjoy your Fourth!


Previous Community Staycation Posts:

Staycation on Foot
Doin' Nothing
Staycation Essential: Pools

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin