Friday, July 3, 2009

Three-Day-Weekend Scones


I woke up this morning and the first thing on my mind was blueberry scones. They seemed like a perfect way to start a three day weekend, don't you think?

So while my tea was steeping, I whipped up a batch, making a Huge mess in the process.
Flour everywhere, soured milk spilling on the counter, measuring spoons toppling over. I grabbed a stash of frozen blueberries (remember them from this post?), folded them into the buttery dough, and Voila!



Even baking in the oven, with the blueberries oozing out, they looked delicious.


The recipe, which I adapted from Cottage Living, is as follows:

2 1/4 c. of flour

1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder

1/2 tsp. of salt

1/4 c. of sugar (I like mine a little sweet)

8 tbs. of chilled, unsalted butter (no--they're not healthy...)

3/4 c. of buttermilk (or soured milk--I just add 1 tbs. of lemon juice to 1 c. of milk and let sit for five minutes)


Combine everything but the buttermilk in the food processor and pulse lightly to combine (don't overdo it or else it turns to mush). Gradually add buttermilk until dough comes together.


Transfer dough to a mixing bowl and fold in 1 c. of frozen blueberries (note: frozen is Much easier to work with than fresh!). Press dough into a round cake pan, and then cut into 8 wedges.


Bake wedges on parchment lined baking sheet at 400 degrees until golden brown (about 20 minutes).


Note:
you can stack the wedges between parchment prior to baking and freeze them for another day. They can go straight from freezer to oven and turn out great!


Enjoy! And Happy Fourth!

2 comments:

  1. One thing I forgot to mention is definitely don't eat too many! I had two for breakfast and then instantly regretted it. They're good, but very filling! Don't overfill yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I found this post! These are definitely worth buying a food processor for ;)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin