Thursday, December 4, 2008

Handmade Holidays: Rag Rugs


I thought this afternoon I'd bring you a crafty project idea that I'm chomping at the bit to try, but haven't gotten around to yet: making rag rugs.

I encountered this post on Etsy's blog, the Storque, linking to a YouTube how-to on creating rag rugs, and I had to check it out further.  After watching the videos (there are about six of them, all very short), I have to conclude that making a rug seems pretty easy.  

Rugs, I think, are one of the easiest ways to dress up a room, or change a look.  Unfortunately, they are not one of the cheapest ways to do it.  Therefore, the thought of making one is very appealing to me.

And yes, I imagine that you might have a picture in your mind of your grandmother's rag rug, full of blues and reds and screaming "country!"  Rest assured that I am no country decor fan (no offense to those of you apple-stencil lovin' types).  I'm convinced that the rag rug, like so many classic decor staples, can be modernized with some contemporary colors (monochromatic might actually be the way I go) and fun fabrics.  I, of course, will be fabric shopping at my favorite place--the thrift store--where I'm sure to find some old long-forgotten sheets that would be perfect braided underfoot.  That is, when I find the time!

Previous Handmade Holiday posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin