Thursday, January 22, 2009

Smarty Pants: Econ 101

It's been an eventful week so far in the nation, what with the inaugaration of President Obama and all.  But while the celebration and fanfare has been roaring, the economy has been tanking.  Again.  Or, at least a slew of major financial institutions have reported disappointing--if not alarming--numbers, and the sensitive stock market has had yet another hiccup upon hearing the news.

Since the economy is Numbero Uno on the new President's list of priorities, and recent talks about possible remedies involved trillions (yes--that's Trillion with a T), I thought that perhaps it was high time that I devoted a little time to the subject.

Now, I don't mean that I'm going to brush up on my macroeconomic theory (brush up!  hah!  I don't know any macroeconomic theory to begin with!).  But I am going to check out some books I recently received over the holidays (no--not the craft books I mentioned on Monday, or the business resources I mentioned last week....are you getting the idea that I like books?).  Books like Common Cents and I.O.U.S.A.--both recently published on the subject of the economy, and both conveniently sitting on my bookshelf.

And I will probably get around to reading some magazine and newspaper commentaries and articles on the subject of the new stimulus and the banking malaise as well, because certainly those writers know a lot more about it than I do.

And I will be doing this because a) a Trillion dollars, not to mention several trillion dollars, is a Huge amount of money for me to ignore, b) I think that global economics and home economics are inseparably linked, and c) I want to impress people at parties with my super cool knowledge on the subject (naturally).

It goes without saying that I'll be reporting back on what I learn, minus the lame pie charts and stodgy acronyms, because I want you to be informed about this Trillion dollar issue too.  And so that you can be super cool at parties.

So, without further adieu, let the economic homework commence!

Previous Smarty Pants posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin