Monday, January 12, 2009

Nesting: Nurturing my Maternal Side

I wrote last week in The Personal Side of Nesting that, for me, part of this season is about preparing for motherhood.  And while most women do this by taking vitamins and getting in tune with their bodies, I will do it by decorating (naturally).

So I thought I would get in touch with my maternal side by launching a few projects.  Now, I've noticed that there seems to be a lack of variety out there in the world of nursery wares, or at least in my price range.  I'll admit that I like some of Dwell Studio's designs for Target, but otherwise the options seem to be a bit...generic.  Incidentally, I do have a sewing machine, and some time, so....

First I started with this fabric (above left).  I found it disguised as a dress in a thrift store.  I loved the coral, mustard yellow, chocolate brown, and just a touch of blue--perfect for...say...a modern baby girl, no?  Six dollars later, some scissors and a seam ripper, and I was well on my way to my first nursery design.

Pieced together and sewn over several days, I ended up with two quilts and a little extra fabric to spare.  I'm thinking the next project will either be coordinating curtains or a crib bumper...

And while I was out, I also picked up what is undoubtedly the world's most hideous floor lamp for $6.99 at Goodwill (my husband said I was scammed).  In spite of its shabby state, I have some major makeover plans for this sad discard, and think it will be the cutest nursery lamp someday.  So even though my hubby is contemplating banning me from thrift stores from this point forward (he just lacks my optimistic imagination...), I think in the end it will be a triumph of recycling and resourcefulness!  

Thus concludes my Nesting update for this Monday.  But don't go far--debuting later this week will by my first ever giveaway along with my first ever email newsletter sign-up, more chat on Mavens, and of course, more Nesting.

Previous Nesting posts:

2 comments:

  1. Hey Steph.

    I love that crib set...it is for a modern baby girl that is for sure!! The lamp is hideous! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love your nursery project! It gives me hope for our small, small, small nursery budget! Great project! Keep 'em coming :)
    Laura (Uproar)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin