Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Accessories (Part 1)


One of my favorite design tricks is to swap out accessories at the turn of each season.  So every year, for instance, when the holidays roll around, I pull out my ruby satin and toile prints, sewn into slipcovers (a girl's best friend, really), and pull them over my throw pillows for an instant festive uplift.  

When spring starts to dawn, I start getting antsy to lighten up my look--similar to lightening up my wardrobe from sweaters to cardigans--and search my linen closet and fabric stash for a few quick fixes.  

So out with the pinecones and in with the green.  Adios to the ruby, and hello to linen ticking stripe and waffle muslin in creamy white.  

My theory is that our rooms need refreshing as much as our fashion does.  The trouble is that furniture costs A Lot more than a new pair of shoes (unless, of course, you're talking about Manolo Blahniks).  So the remedy for a tight budget?  Slipcovers, of course.  Swap out your old duvet for a new one, and your pillow shams for a fresh set.  I'm not particularly crazy about mine right now, to be honest, but I'm sure that my fabric stash holds the key, as soon as I make the time to unlock my creativity.  The cost for these upgrades is cheap, cheap, cheap, especially if you sew them yourself.  And the effect is just what I need!

Incidentally, I'm applying the same reasoning to my spring fashion this year.  Stick around to see more.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin