Friday, April 10, 2009

It's So Trendy!


I consider it just plain lucky that gardening is getting so popular during the midst of this Recessionista series. Because, as I've said before, growing your own food is an excellent way to save money, meet new friends, and increase the sustainability of your community.

Edible Paradise?
I was therefore thrilled when I received my new copy of Sunset magazine (a great glossy for us Westerners) and saw that they had a feature section on turning your backyard into an edible paradise. The magazine highlighted three different gardeners, each demonstrating a different style of growing food. Living in an apartment with a balcony? Learn great container garden tips from a couple from San Francisco. Love to cook your own herbs and veggies? Read how from a Seattle foodie. Or be a real overachiever and turn your entire lawn into an edible feast using tips from a cookbook author.

Beyond these motivational stories, Sunset also provides a Ton of information about gardening in the West, including tips for soils, composting, planting schedules, garden designs, and more. It is certainly the place I went to this year when I wanted to know if I could plant lettuce seeds in March (yes), or basil in shade (no).

Plotting More to Come
I'm plotting some fun gardening ventures for all of us Recessionistas this spring,
so stick around to hear more about those, or subscribe to my newsletter and get the inside scoop delivered directly to you!


Well, I'm signing off for the weekend--hope you enjoy yours! See you next Monday for more on Recessionista!


Catch up on this week's posts:

Los Angeles Weekend: spring break vacation update
At Least a Lighter Wallet Weighs Less...
The Two-Step Shuffle
Smarty Pants: Is Staying Home Foolish in a Recession?
Kicking my Budget into Gear

I'm Lovin' It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin